/ WHO Jobs in Tanzania / Medical Laboratory Scientists / Wataalamu wa Maabara / Ajira za Afya / Wataalamu wa Afya /
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 12 months
Job Posting: May 19, 2023, 8:30:48 AM
Closing Date: Jun 1, 2023, 11:59:00 PM
Primary Location: Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar-es-Salaam
Organization: AF_TZA Tanzania
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Post Title: National Professional Officer/Laboratory
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement
Position No. 01 position
Duty Station: WHO Country Office, Tanzania
Duration of Contract: 1 year
WHO Jobs in Tanzania
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision and general direction of the WHO Representative for Tanzania, the incumbent will support the Ministry of Health and partners as a Technical Advisor responsible for strengthening the TB/HIV/Viral Hepatitis/Emerging and Re-emerging Diseases Laboratory Services in Tanzania: He / She will perform the following functions:
- Support the Ministry of Health to raise the profile of laboratory services (VL, MDR TB, HDR, E&ReE) within the Ministry of Health in order to provide stewardship, coordination, and management of laboratory services.
- Provide technical assistance in the operationalization of an effective and functional laboratory network in the country for nominal patient management, disease surveillance, research, and other specialized services in line with the Tanzania National Minimum Health Care Package on TB/HIV/Viral Hepatitis and other pathogens for public health.
- Work with the Ministry of Health to develop national health laboratory policy and strategies that ensure that personnel, equipment supplies (including donations), and infrastructure comply with the national specifications and standards.
- Advocate and support strengthening a comprehensive national laboratory quality assurance system that will ensure quality services delivered through an accreditation system for laboratories for different levels of services and participation in internal and external quality assessment (EQA) with linkages to the internationally recognized EQA bodies.
- Support the Ministry of Health to establish a system to ensure that all laboratories have appropriate functional equipment with an effective and sustainable mechanism for equipment maintenance as well as safe disposal of obsolete items.b
- Engage with the Ministry of Health to strengthen a laboratory logistic system to ensure that an effective supply chain management system is in place to provide adequate supplies to support the uninterrupted delivery of services.
- Promote acceptable biorisk, biosafety, and biosecurity standards within all laboratories in respect of space, personnel, client, and community.
- Ensure national development of an adequate and skilled human resource to deliver quality laboratory services at all levels through integration, referrals, and lab networks
- Assist laboratories to participate in relevant health research, assessment, and monitoring and evaluation initiatives to improve patient management, laboratory performance, and disease control, supporting laboratories to detect any emerging or transmitted resistances to patient medications
- Perform any other duties assigned by the WHO Representative
Education and Professional Training
- Essential: Degree in Laboratory Sciences, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, and related areas that demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities described.
- Desirable: Postgraduate degree in FELTP, Public Health, Laboratory, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or related areas.
- Other IT skills: Excellent knowledge of computer applications; ability to make oral and written presentations on technical issues; and ability to write detailed, coherent, and concise briefing documents.
- Essential: At least five (5) years of professional experience in medical laboratory services with a reputable organization.
- Desirable: Working with UN Agencies is an added advantage.
Skill and Ability to:
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms; interact with users and office staff in non-technical clear terms
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Set priorities and organize work to meet strict reporting deadlines.
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Desirable: Basic knowledge of French language is an added advantage
How to Apply
Kindly submit your application online through the official WHO Career Portal by accessing the provided link.[ad1]
Submit your application not later than 1st June 2023
More WHO Jobs in Tanzania Click Here