Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing, and validating innovations for health.
Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training, and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery, and policy translation.
Ifakara seeks a qualified Nursing Officer to fill an internship position. The Nursing Officer will assist in playing a key role in the provision of research nursing services, day-to-day planning and execution of clinical study activities, and act as a team player for a clinical study team consisting of research nurses and study physicians.
|Ifakara Health Institute (IHI)
|Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
|October 10, 2023
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in participating and contributing to the design of data collection tools such as source documents and case report forms.
- Assist in educating volunteers on the study by using approved study information tools.
- Assist in obtaining informed consent from the study participants or their parents/guardians and ensure all study participants are aware of their rights.
- Assist in performing and documenting vital signs and anthropometry assessment.
- Collect and label blood, serum, urine, and other specimens from study participants for analyses as described in the protocol or as requested by study clinicians.
- Assist senior study nurses in developing workflow procedures and duty rosters during clinical trial implementation.
- Assist in administering Investigational Product (IP) and non-IP medications and procedures under the guidance of a study clinician.
- Assist in resolving problems relating to volunteer care and act as a volunteer advocate.
- Assist in giving counsel to volunteers with respect to medical conditions and provide appropriate guidance related to research activities, collect and document data as defined in the study protocols.
- Assist in assessing patient needs to diagnose, plan, and implement appropriate nursing care for participants in clinical trials in accordance with the treatment guidelines.
- Assist in tracking vital signs and carry out regular checks on the patient’s wellbeing.
- Assist in monitoring treatment plans, evaluate and advise/make appropriate recommendations to the Medical Officer or relevant officer as required, and generate and draft nursing reports as may be required from time to time.
- Assist in maintaining relevant medical records on participants, treatment, etc. as may be required.
- Assist in performing other duties as assigned by the study Coordinator and Project Leader.
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery.
- Proven experience working in a facility setting.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficient IV and phlebotomy skills.
- Excellent diagnostic skills and fine manual dexterity for repetitive tasks.
- Proactive and confident with strong ethics.
- Ability to multi-task and exhibit high integrity.
- Able to meet deadlines and be punctual.
- Able and willing to take and follow instructions and learn.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; with strong organizational skills and hard working.
- Team player, able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to work flexible hours including weekends.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Integrity, Initiative, Equity, Excellence, Accountability).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI internship package.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment.
All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labor laws of Tanzania.
How to Apply
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers, and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.[ad1]
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
All e-mail application subject lines should include: NURSING OFFICER/INTERN – Blood CHMI BAG.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Tuesday, October 10th, 2023. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
| Ifakara Health Institute | Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) |